Saturday

Mint Zucchini Quiche

        I decided to attempt my first quiche today. I’ve found myself ordering it at least once a week at Pannikin, but I always leave feeling guilty for the amount of butter, gluten and cheese I end up ingesting. I wasn’t quite sure how this was going to turn out. I didn’t have any gluten-free flour on hand so I decided to use rice bread. I pulled out all the ingredients that sounded good together, cooked them up and added enough eggs and milk to cover everything. Sadly, I couldn’t figure out if the eggs were going to expand and if I was going to have an egg mountain when it was said and done. I pulled out this little baking dish I had found at Ross a few months ago (9"x6"). It was cute and affordable so I purchased it (a sad addiction I’m afraid) . It seemed to be the perfect size for my experimental quiche. Obviously you won't be using the same odd sized dish, so just add more of everything to fill it up. 
Everything turned out great, even the rice bread held to its soft, chewy consistency. I didn't realize until after I was done that there seems to be a pattern in most of my egg dishes (zucchini, spinach and sun dried tomatoes). I guess that’s what I always seem to have stocked in the fridge. 
1/2 tbs. Olive Oil
1/2 Zucchini, thinly sliced
2 tbs. Sun Dried Tomatoes
2 c. Fresh Baby Spinach (with stems removed)
6 Slices Rice Bread
3/4 c. Mint
4 Eggs
1/4 c. Milk (I used rice milk, but any would do)
Salt/Pepper
3 tbs. Goat Cheese 
  • Pre heat oven to 350

  • In small sauce pan, add oil, zucchini and sun dried tomatoes. 
  • Saute until zucchini is soft.
  • Add spinach and mint and cook until both are soft
  • Add a pinch of salt and pepper 
  • Cut the crust off of the rice bread and place into the baking dish.
  • Coat the entire dish, including the sides with the bread pieces, cutting smaller pieces to fit. 
  • Spoon vegetable mixture onto bread.
  • Beat eggs and milk in small bowl and pour over veggies
  • Place into oven and bake for 30 mins
  • Remove and top with goat cheese  
 Serves 3-4


Gluten Free, No Refined Sugar, No Butter, Vegetarian

No comments:

Post a Comment